Top Women-owned Companies of Our Time
Posted by gbravo on February 24, 2009 in Business News, Uncategorized [ 3 Comments ]
Although women have owned successful companies for decades, over the past decade or so, women are launching new businesses by record numbers. According to diversitybusiness.com, “women-owned businesses contribute over $1.4 trillion in sales to the U.S. economy.” Success like that deserves some attention.
In January 2009, diversitybusiness.com announced they will hold their annual national business conference, at which the top women-owned companies will be recognized and awarded. They also announced their Div500, which is the annual listing of the nation’s top 500 women-owned businesses. The women-owned businesses that make their list range in revenue size from $20 million to over $1 billion. To join diversitybusiness.com and the rest of the nation in recognizing successful women-owned companies, below is a list of the top women-owned companies of recent years. These women-owned companies are continually thriving, bringing in millions to even billions of dollars annually.
- Omega World Travel – This woman-owned company tops the Div500 list as the most influential and successful business of 2008. The company is based in Fairfax, Virginia and sees a whopping $1.2 billion in annual revenues according to The Washington Post. Omega World Travel offers a broad range of travel services. The extremely successful company was launched in 1972 by Gloria Bohan, who is now President and CEO of Omega World Travel. Bohan’s drive and success has led to an accomplished career and an induction into the Enterprising Women’s Hall of Fame.
- Zorch – Named the number one woman-led company in 2008 by Inc. Magazine, Zorch was launched by the driven Nicole Loftus in 2002. Zorch is an online portal from which corporations can purchase a variety of promotional merchandise. By creating this company, Loftus has saved and will continue to save her clients millions of dollars each month by cutting out middle man distributors and putting corporations directly in touch with a network of manufacturers that meet Zorch’s high-quality standards.
- Willett Travel – This Los Angeles, California-based business was established way back in 1943. It is Los Angeles’ oldest independently owned travel agency and serves all travel needs, from corporate travel to leisure travel.
- Exact Staff, Inc. – This is another California-based woman-owned company. Exact Staff, Inc. was founded in 1996 by Karenjo Goodwin. The accomplished company has been recognized by the Los Angeles Business Journal as one of the Top 100 Women-owned Businesses in California. Exact Staff is a staffing agency, finding temporary and full-time employees to match the needs of various employers. Goodwin, now President of the company, has nearly 20 years of experience and leadership in the employment industry and has been a featured speaker at various events and conventions. Additionally, Goodwin has authored several industry-related articles.
- Maria’s Italian Kitchen – This thriving restaurant first opened in 1975 in New Jersey. Owned and run by Maria Alfano, this family-style eatery has had huge success, so much that Maria’s daughter, Madelyn Alfano, opened another Maria’s Italian Kitchen in California in 1985. Since then, Madelyn has expanded the company to nine more locations.
- Associated Speech and Language Specialists – One interesting aspect of this successful women-owned business is that all employees are also women. The all-female company is owned and was founded in 1994 by three moms. The company evaluates and treats various speech, language comprehension, communication, and swallowing disorders.
- Clockwork Active Media Systems – This successful woman-owned company designs interactive web-based applications for business clients. Co-owner Nancy Lyons helped re-build this company in 2002. Among her accolades, Business Journals 40 under 40 and Business journal’s Top Women to Watch.